Friday 7 November 2008

A rude awakening

On Wednesday morning I woke up to Barack Obama giving his victory speech - which, considering it was 4.30am, rather cheered me up. However, I am really not the sort of person who would rise at such a ludicrous time - election or no election, I like my sleep. The reason for my early awakening was to get the first train to Birmingham to attend the 2nd annual HSW/IIRSM conference.

It was an informative, enjoyable day - most of the speakers had obviously attended a comedy course as the jokes came thick and fast. But there were serious points too - namely defence lawyer Paul Burnley of DLA Piper's talk on corporate manslaughter investigations. He told the audience how he is involved in two of the first cases - and warned that police have arrested supervisors, site-level managers and directors and interviewed them under caution within weeks of the incident.

Read the full story here.